Monday, September 1, 2008

If you turn back


Jeremiah 15:19 Therefore thus says the LORD: If you turn back, I will take you back, and you shall stand before me. If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless, you shall serve as my mouth. It is they who will turn to you, not you who will turn to them.

God's word is always "Turn back, and I will take you back." The spiritual life is not about always being in God's presence, but it is always returning to God--always remembering and responding to God's everlasting welcome. The righteous will fall seven times, but they will rise again (Proverbs 24:16). The spiritual life is penitential.

But notice that God's promise is not only to take us back--though that would be enough--but God calls us to priestly and prophetic service. This is the meaning of "you shall stand before me." Our priestly service is to come before God in worship, supplication, and intercession for others.

Moreover, "if you utter what is precious...you shall serve as my mouth." Our prophetic service is to speak the "precious" word that God gives us and not to utter "what is worthless," words that God has not given us to speak. When we return to God, we find that we have something worth sharing with others.

Today, God calls us and says, return to me, come before me in prayer, share my precious word. May God grant us a thousand ways to return again and again throughout the day.

May I always be ready to do your will.
O Spirit, guide me all through my day,
and help me to listen when you call my name.


Image by Annie62

No comments: